Monday, August 1, 2022

Two Parts

The platform needs to be cut into two parts. I devised a plan to do that and retain the shape.

I had already screwed the outside two planks onto the cross members. Tonight I screwed the other 6 boards using only a screw in each end. This would allow me to cut all 8 boards nearly in half in one cut. I set the depth of the cut on my skill saw at 1/2". The boards are 5/8" thick. I clamped a guide board across the planks and made a cut.


About that time the mosquitoes began attacking! I took the work inside.


I unscrewed the inside 6 boards and finished the cut on each with the Japanese saw. Then I sanded the cut ends of the boards since the kerf of the Japanese saw was not quite as wide as the skill saw kerf.



I was hoping to reassemble the platform but my box of screws contained fewer screws than the label said. Ugh! I decided that I have room for a bigger screw anyway, so it may just be as well. I'm going from #10 1" to 1,1/4" inch. That will give them more holding power. 

Hopefully get it done tomorrow night. I've got all the countersunk holes drilled and the through-holes as well. It'll just be a matter of putting the screws in and cutting the outside two planks. 

Of course, I will have to fit the platform to the sole of the boat. Still got to think on that one a bit. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment