Saturday, August 13, 2022

Floor Timbers Done

It turned into quite the job but the timbers are done. They're all cut out and filleted in place. Here is the third one drawn on the ply.


Since I wanted the floor clear in front of the aft section, I glued blocks on the bottom of the panel to keep it at the correct height when in use. 


My cockpit is slightly off from the drawings. It look likes my midship frame may be out of plumb - I'm not sure. But in any case, the floor is a little short for the cockpit. I glued two little spacers on the midship frame just to take up the slack. One is 6mm and the other is 5mm. The floor won't be tight but there will not be much wiggle room. Should be a good fit.


Here are the 3 timbers. If you'll notice, the aft most timber has a piece of ply glued to it. My aft panel is a little out of plane. The boards are repurposed, of course, and I guess the floor buckled a bit. I wound up with a little rocking, so I glued a piece of ply to raise the timber just about 1/8". I think it will take care of it. Not the best looking fix but it will be hidden, so there you go. 


Here is the aft section in place. Notice the "clean" floor in front of it. This will be my daysailing setup and will give me extra foot and leg room. It will also give me a foot rest while I row. I like the setup.


After thinking about it a little while, I decided the blocks on the fore section needed reinforcement, so I glued a piece of ply to each row. That'll work. 

I've been wondering about securing the floor to the boat somehow. Pete said he lets his just sit loose. If he ever sails in big water, he may figure out a way to secure them. I'm thinking a short lanyard attached to both side of the sections, just enough to keep them in the boat during a capsize, should be enough. I don't plan to push the boat hard, but you never know!  



 

No comments:

Post a Comment