Tuesday, August 16, 2022

Mizzen Mast

Time to work on that mizzen mast setup. I decided to cut the hole for the mizzen mast. The obvious question: how big? I took my tri-square and added a second tri to it from my other tri-square. I slide the second on opposite the first and used it to get the diameter of my mizzen. It's supposed to 2-1/8". Turns out it is 2-1/4". I looked on my box of hole saws and there was a 2-1/8" one. My mizzen is a little misshapen anyway, so I cut a hole in a piece of scrap ply to see how it would fit over the mast. A bit too big as I had measured. 

I made a little jig, similar to one I made when I cut the mast. This time I used the table saw. The band saw actually messed me up several times early in the build. For some reason the blade wants to wander. Not sure why. Anyway, I trimmed the mast down to 2-1/8" up the mast about 8-1/2". Then I took my grandpa's draw knife and sander and shaped it up a bit til the hole would fit over it. (I can't used the actual hole because the ceiling is too low for the mast).



Of course, that took the finish off, but I've got a lot of painting to do. It'll get redone. 

Here is the hole for the mizzen mast. I think I'll wait on doing the step until I get the boat outside where I can double check the rake and get her plumb (or at least close - LOL). 


I also looked at the boomkin. I marked it on the piece of mahogany and cut out the bracket that will hold it to the aft seat.


I was actually able to use another hole saw for it. Finished it up with the band saw and sander.  Now I have to cut a hole in the transom for the boomkin.

Addendum:

Friday evening I did some more work on the end of the mizzen mast. This time I worked on the very end of it. Like the diameter at the hole, the diameter at the end was too big. I cut another hole in the scrap ply and used it as a template and guide. Using my little block plane and sander I got it down to size.







No comments:

Post a Comment