Saturday, July 30, 2022

Assembling Floor

I'm continuing work on the floor/platform. Here are the boards cut to size.  


Oops! How did I cut one short????? I know I cut it on the line. I must have not seated the board against the other end. I did this yesterday. Tonight I cut another board. Fortunately I had enough from the pile I confiscated from the vacant building next to church.

I'm going to use the planed sides for up. It's a fresh finish on that side. 

I decided to but lateral boards underneath to hold the eight boards together starting with the two curved boards against the seats. That will give me the correct dimension cross-ways. There will be 4 cross pieces since the floor will be cut into two more easily managed parts. 

Here we go.


If you look closely, that's two cross pieces in the middle. One is wider than the others because it will create a ledge for the other half to sit on and will have a folding leg attached to provide support in the middle of the platform.

I'm going to screw these pieces together. I think that will be sufficient. I broke down and spent $10 for a countersink bit. I figured it would make it so much easier since I'll have a pile of screws to sink. 

It's going to take another night or two to finish the floor. After I get it assembled, I've got to figure out how to best support it when it's in the lower position. The plans call for "joists" but I believe I'm going to leave them out in the event that I want to leave the removable floor out and have a deeper cockpit on occasion (I'm thinking if I can ever get Robin on the boat). 


No comments:

Post a Comment