Monday, August 8, 2022

Floor Timbers

I got into the floor timbers tonight. It is a time consuming process getting the timbers shaped correctly. It requires determining the height of the timbers, the length and the angles. I used scrap ply and hot glue again. I got two of them done - one to go. I've decided not to put any in the fore part of the boat. 

Here are the various parts of the process. Scrap ply with pieces glued on copying the shape of the boat's bottom. The can  and little blocks held up the cross piece in the correct location and height while I glued the rectangular pieces on. 

When transferring the shape to the actual plywood, the cross piece laid right along the edge of the ply. The narrow one was the one I glued up the other night. The second one is a larger piece that will only be one ply thick. It had a straight edge so worked great.


Here are the two that I've cut out - not glued in yet. 

The near one will set under the front edge of the larger piece of the platform. It was easy enough to do the final fitting. The back one was a little harder to check. I actually screwed it to the platform and set the whole thing in the bottom of the boat. It fit nicely. It does raise the aft end of the floor just a wee bit too much. I may plane off 1/16" before gluing it in. The nice thing is that the folding support post hinges down right between those two timbers - no interference. 

I am going to cut a third one to place just in front of the last cross piece on the platform. 

TUESDAY MORNING

I got up early and decided to work on the floor timbers some more. I made a template for the third one and transferred it to my plywood.


I also planed the middle one down about a 1/16". Then I glued the first two down. Fillets will come this evening I hope. 


I am going to put blocks under the forward section of the platform. I took measurements for them and will cut and glue them on tonight as well. 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment