Tuesday, August 30, 2022

More Little Stuff

Everyone who builds boats knows that the little stuff takes a lot of time. I'm doing the little stuff.

Not specifically related to boat building, but I did hang a cabinet on Sunday afternoon. Kind of ironic now that the build is almost over. It came out of our church kitchen which we recently remodeled. A nice fit and it will come in handy, especially if I continue to do stuff in my "workshop". 


Here's the first bit of interior painting: the underside of the padeyes. It would be very difficult to paint once installed.


I also have glued up my main mast step. I think it has turned out very nicely. Hopefully the mast will be right.


I had some extra epoxy, so I beefed up the fillet on the daggerboard trunk brace. 


I also cut out the daggerboard trim. This will prevent the daggerboard from going all the way through the boat. Can't have that now can we? I cut some left over Douglas fir. I am only able to glue one side on. The other side will have to be screwed on so that I can have access to the holes that will hold the rope handle.


Before gluing the trim on, I sanded down an earlier repair so that I could fill it in with colored epoxy. My repair was straight white. Didn't like that. 


I cut out a daggerboard trunk plug. This will be used when I am rowing to prevent water from coming up into the boat. I laminated four pieces of 6mm ply. It will fill the trunk perfectly.


I tried to round over the corners of the boomkin hole. I believe what I did will help. I'll have to make sure I didn't put in too much epoxy so that the boomkin will not fit. 

I think I'm going to do a little more fiberglass work. I have one piece of 8 oz  cloth that I might as well use. I'll put it in the floor somewhere. Then I need to sand the edges of the glass and fill the weave. I'm close to painting but might not be this week as I had thought. 

Addendum:

Wednesday a.m.

Took a few pics and shaped up my daggerboard trim.











 

No comments:

Post a Comment