Thursday, August 25, 2022

Mast Work

I've been fretting over the mast setup. My concern is that my dimensions may be off enough that my two masts will not set correctly, maybe off plumb and off on rake. 

One issue is the knob that juts out from the bottom of the mast. I did not get a good fit when I made it, so it's actually off center. That would make the mast off. I decided to try and correct it with epoxy. I fashioned a mold from cardboard and poured epoxy into it, trying to get it centered. It was a time consuming effort. 





It turned out fairly well. The diameter is better. Mine was a little small. This is right on the money as to the plans. I'm not sure I got it exactly in the center though. Closer but not perfect.


With that said, I have decided to install the mast steps, both of them, when the boat is outside. I can level the boat, position the steps and get it right.

That means I need to make the mast partner for the main mast. Plans call for hardwood which I don't have and am not buying. I decided to laminate some plywood and use a piece of wood that I already had. Not sure what species it is. I thought it was mahogany but it doesn't seem to match the other piece that I had which I used for the quarterknees. Here is the mast step glue-up and the gate glue-up.



I will cut them to shape once the epoxy cures. The gate will not be installed until painting when I get to the rigging. 




No comments:

Post a Comment