Tuesday, August 23, 2022

YIKES!!!!!



YIKES!!!! What in the world is this????

I pulled my boomkin out the other day. It has a routed hole all the way through it. I held it up to the light (like looking through the barrel of a rifle) and couldn't see anything. I stuck a long thin piece of wood up into it and it was clogged with dirt and stuff. I was able to break it loose fairly easily.

Today I pulled out my main mast. I'm working on the mast partner and step. It is a birdsmouth mast so it is hollow. It does have a weep hole through the base and the partner plug. While I was working on it, I noticed about a half dozen tiny holes in one of the staves. They were all in one of the pieces with none beyond the scarf. I decided to push that stick up into the weep hole. Clogged dirt came out along with a tiny critter!!!!

Here is one of the holes:

                                              

A 1/16" drill bit fits it just about perfectly. The bit will only go as far as the bird's mouth where the two staves are epoxied together. None of the holes seem through to the hollow middle (unless they make a turn which I can't tell). I repurposed this wood from an old bowling alley. I was told it was douglas fir. I'm no expert, so I took the guy's word for it.

Here is some of the junk that I shook out of it after poking the stick up into the hole. For scale that's a 2x4 the stuff is lying on.

                                     

Do you see the little round dark thing? Here are close-ups of top side and bottom side of it:

                                        

                                                

What is it??? Should I be concerned???? If so, what should I do about it? I built the mast a year ago and it has been under my sunporch, suspended from the joists on hangers, out of the weather ever since. The boomkin, mast, other spars and oars were all hanging together. Lattice is the only thing that covers the underside of the porch. I'm wondering if that one piece of wood may have been infested to begin with although I would have used more than one piece from the used joist. They were 2x8's 10-14' long.

(above copied from WBF post)

Addendum:

I have scrolled around and looks like they may be powder post beetles. The small holes certainly fit the description of how they exit wood. From what I can determine, I will need to treat the wood with borate.





No comments:

Post a Comment