Tuesday, September 26, 2023

G17 "The Gathering" 2023

I went to the Glen-L Gathering again this year. This makes about 4 times that I've been to it. I took Pixie, Little Bit to at least one; I think two for Little Bit. I stopped at one on Anago with Robin. I also took Ike Clarkson to one on an afternoon and we were able to catch a ride on Butch Barto's Innocence

This year I wanted to take Disciple Ship. I wasn't quite finished with her last year to go. I decided that I'd go for a longer time than previously. They start on Thursday and go through Sunday. I took Friday and Saturday to go. 

I left early Friday in time to get up there for the river run. I arrived at Blue Water RV Resort in Dayton around 9:45. 

Around 10:30 people started loading up for the run. I wound up with Ed on his Scooter, a Glen-L Gentry. She's a two-seater and fast! We made the 24 mile run with about 40+ others gathered for a lunch at Zois at the Harbor Lights Marina which is just south of the nuclear power plant.  












The ride back was just as much fun as the ride down. During the afternoon I took my boat out for a brief sail. The wind was blowing out so I was able to sail the 1/2 mile out to the main river where I met Ron and Claire on their Minuet, the only other sailboat there, coming back in. They had a motor and offered to tow me in so I'd make supper. I gratefully accepted. 

I ate supper with Ed, walked around a bit, talked to Robin on the phone a while and set up my tent around dark. Folks were quite interested in my boat. Several asked about the mast. The sleeping platform was intriguing to some. I hunkered down in the cockpit on my sleeping pad and read til around 10:00 then into the tent, and it was lights out. 



I slept but only so-so. I arose about 7:00 to a pretty scene.


David, another pastor, made waffles and sausage links for anyone who wanted some. I ate two along with some orange juice. After breakfast, I put some of my stuff away, and waited for stuff to dry after the heavy dew.

Ron and Claire made plans to sail after lunch (which I skipped), so I joined them. The plan was to sail in tandem and have them tow me back again in time to retrieve our boats before the barbeque supper. The wind was fluky but it was a decent afternoon. I got to put my boat to more of a test than any time previously in my limited experience on her. I estimate that we sailed about 4 miles total. Some of the winds probably hit 10 mph but most were much gentler than that. 

Ron got some great shots of my boat while we were out. 





Retrieval went smoothly with a couple of guys helping me at the ramp which was good since we had a cross wind. After supper I said some good-byes and headed home. Made it about dark. 

Here are a few shots of some of the boats at the gathering.









And here's a good shot of mine in my slip without the tent.


It was a good event. Plan to return again. 








2 comments:

  1. I just spent the last two hours reading over your blog entries for building your CIY. I can't thank you enough for what a help this was for me for my journey of building a small boat. I built a stitch and glue Chameleon nesting dingy (designed by Danny Greene) twenty five years ago. I also spent a year and a half refitting a steel schooner (the interior was wood so much learning there). I was trying to talk myself into a boat from plans, not a kit. And after reading your blog - I was definitely fooling myself! Your wood working skills are legends beyond mine. I *might* be able to pull it off - but in more like 900 hours - and by that time it would be work, not fun. So thank you again for the effort you put into your blog. It really helped me. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brad, thanks for commenting. I'm glad my blog has been a help, though in a way I would not have expected. As for my skills, nothing I ever build is quite square, plumb or level - LOL. And that's a true statement. I had to learn a long time ago, as the expression goes, don't let perfection get in the way of good enough. My CIY build went just about as I expected. I anticipated 18 months - it took 20 (although I got stuck on the paint job which cost me about 2 months). I was hoping to build it for $3000 - cost closer to $4k. I wasn't shooting for perfection (missed it by a long shot) but she turned out very attractive, if I do say so myself. I've hung around boat building sites for quite a few years, and there are builders out there that ASTOUND ME with their level of craftsmanship! But I can't let that stop me. Not sure what kind of boat you were wanting to build, but if you're comfortable with stitch and glue, there are a bunch of options out there. But you really do need to enjoy the build process, which I do. Or if you just want a boat, scan the for sale sites and buy one. Many prefer to be on the water versus in the boat shed. If I can be of any more help or encouragement, don't hesitate to touch base through this blog. And God bless you too!! Acts 16:30-31

      Delete