Saturday, September 3, 2022

Is It Time to Sand?

Pushing to do some painting, but not quite yet. Tonight I spent a couple hours sanding the gunnel, inwale, rub rail and some joints (like where the side bench seats meet the aft seat and middle thwart. I sanded the top of the daggerboard trunk and planed the top edge of the daggerboard while filling in some "low spots" with thickened epoxy. I also did some fillets at the transom. Finally, I epoxied a 3" square piece of 6mm ply under the center thwart near the midship frame which will be the location of my drain plug. The plug is 1/2" deep; hence an extra 1/4" to go with the keel plank. I plan to cut a hole about 2" in diameter, fill it with epoxy and then cut the hole for the plug. That will prevent the ply from getting water into it and rotting. I've also bought a tube of 3M 4200 which I'll use to seal it as well as some other fixtures (like gudgeons etc)

Here's the only pic from tonight. The paint can along with two 5 lb. weights and some extra ply are sitting on top of the 3" square piece of ply for the plug. 


Next step is to sand the plywood interior and then PAINT!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment