Monday, August 30, 2021

More Scarfs

I was not able to get back to the scarfs last week, so it was at it again tonight. 

I started by sanding the first two. Of course, they had the red checks that stuck to them; so it took a bit of sanding. And one of them was not quite seated properly. I took some extra care to get the two I glued up tonight lined up evenly.

Here are a couple pics of the scarfs.



The first one looks pretty good. The second one was the one that was not set up just right. I actually sanded through the first layer of ply. Don't really want to do that. It will be painted, so probably won't be noticed.

Here are my second two scarfs (two layers) glued up.


I used a string to line up the two pieces tonight. My first two were a little off. I clamped a block of wood near one end of the two pieces of ply and drove a nail near the other end. Then I stretched a line between those two points and clamped another block at the strings edge where the two pieces of ply meet. Should be right on. I used a couple extra clamps to make sure everything stayed in place.



The two I glued up tonight each have the "extension" on them. These will be for planks #4 and #5. Here is a pic of that end. The second plank that will come out of this piece is short, so I have enough board to cut out a piece for the extension. The two I plan to do tomorrow night will be done the same way.  I used granddaddy's piece of rail to hold it down. 






No comments:

Post a Comment