Monday, August 16, 2021

I Think It's Time

I could do more, but I think it's time to get to the hull. My, oh, my! That means serious business. Scarfing, cutting planks, getting strongback square & level, setting up molds plumb.  There's a whole lot to it and it's a bit scary. 

Tonight I tried to put together a scarfing jig. I've been thinking I was going to try to do them with the router. Here's what I've come up with so far.



Here's the jig with a trial piece routed. I tried one earlier and it made the edge a bit rough so I thought I'd try and leave a little wood that I could maybe sand off later or may plane off and leave a good edge. Didn't have much success with a trial. 

Trials were hard because I'm using small pieces of wood and they want to move around. There's a lot of forces at work when you're routing. 

After a couple hours of trial and error, I decided to try just planing with the power planer. I took a left over piece of 9mm meranti and it came out pretty decent. It even had a nice edge on it if you can see it in the second picture. The cut out in the middle of that board is where I tested the router on the jig. 



I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I may try it one way; and, if it doesn't come out right, try it the other way. I can experiment a little bit because one of the plank sheets has some left over at the end. We'll see.








No comments:

Post a Comment