Thursday, September 2, 2021

Time to Plank!

I finished the scarfing today. Six sheets of 4x8 plywood ripped to twelve 2x8's and scarfed end to end.  The scarfs aren't perfect (hmm, hmm, clear throat) but they'll do. I'm painting so they'll work. Once I cut the planks, I may have to do a little filling of the scarfs, but I'll put the better side to the outside of the hull. Here are a couple more scarfs.



I spent a few minutes realigning the strongback. When I first set it up, I failed to center it in my workspace. It's going to be a little tight any way, so I decided to get it in the middle of the 10' space. I'm also double checking to make sure it's level.




Side to side I can use the level. End to end I wanted something a little more reliable so I used the tube "trick" again. Those last 2 pics are of each end of the tube. You'll notice the water level in the tube. It is right at the top of the strongback on both ends. Water seeks its own level. Right on! 

Did you notice the scarfed plywood and molds in the pic? Yep, that's the next step. 




No comments:

Post a Comment