Monday, August 2, 2021

Got the Bends

I was trying to figure out how to make the curve in the second stave on the main boom. Turns out it was a lot of thought for little trouble. I added a small block at the beginning of the curve on each end and the stave bent right around it along the curve cut out in the plywood. A simple C clamp held it in place perfectly. Great! 

I decided that I ought to go ahead and do the whole interior of the boom while I was at it. I cut out the end blocks, which I made a little longer than drawn per advice from other builders, and a couple extras along with a couple spacers to bend that stave around. I also coated the whole interior with epoxy. I used my 1/8" dowel trick to hold the two end blocks in place. Since they are not "square", I was afraid they would slide when the pressure from the clamping was applied. I will likely drill holes there anyway when I go about rigging the boat, so it won't be noticeable at all. 

Here are 3 pics: each end plus the entire set up. Note clamps are set up in two directions - a few holding the stave down and a few holding it against the blocks. 




Tomorrow I hope to glue the "lid" on it, i.e. the other side. Just got to be sure I know where the blocks are once it's closed up.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment