Tuesday, August 24, 2021

Finished Cutting Scarfs

I got two more hours in this evening and it was enough to finish cutting the scarfs. There were 16 all total. Four of the pieces I cut a scarf at both ends. They will need a second scarf for planks 4 & 5. With two 2' x 8' pieces scarfed together, you come up with a piece 2' x 15'10". You can see that planks 4 & 5 are a little over that.

Here is a pic of the planking layout.


On the sheets containing planks 4 & 5, there is enough leftover board on each one to cut out enough to scarf a few inches onto the ends giving enough for those two planks.

As a note: I cut the scarfs for the okoume last. The okoume made better scarfs. The wood is not as brittle as the meranti. Here are two pics of the last scarf I cut. It feathered down to a really fine edge. The meranti wanted to break off as I mentioned in the previous post. 


One thing I did differently tonight: I cut the second pass of the first cut in reverse. As I mentioned in the earlier post, I made my first 1/2" cut with the router in two passes, 1/8" each time. By reversing the second pass, that had the router bit cutting toward the edge first rather than cutting the edge first. I do think it helped significantly to get a better edge. 

Next step: gluing the pieces together. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment