Monday, August 23, 2021

Cutting Scarfs

After setting up the scarfing jig and cutting 2 scarfs last week, it's time to get down to business and get these scarfs done. Tonight I spent about 2 hours cutting a few more. I ran into some difficulties. The scarfs  didn't seem to be coming out as nicely as the previous two. In fact, the router was ripping the bevel right off the end of the plywood. Here's a pic:

That should be tapered but it's obviously not. After a couple of those, I looked at the jig. I decided to move the guide so that the router bit would hit closer to the end of the ply. My bevel was ending 1/8 to 3/16 from the end. That turned out disastrous, so I moved it back.

After looking again, it looked like the ply wasn't sitting flat on the board. I figured that "play" might be allowing the router to tear up the end of the bevel, so I added another strip of spacer under the ply just as it feeds into the jig to raise the angle of the ply and made sure that my wedge was tight and holding the ply down flush with the board. It seemed to help some.  

I cut a few more. They are not perfect (how often will I say that?). They will have to do. I've got about seven more to cut. Should be able to do that tomorrow night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment