Saturday, August 7, 2021

First Look at Boom

The last couple of short work sessions I've been finishing off the boom: sanding, routing, filling and sanding some more. I had a couple small gaps and there were two small voids in the plywood. Not supposed to be there but there it was.

This morning I put the first coat of Helmsman on it. It took four coats on the other spars. Of course, this has plywood in it, so we'll see how much the ply takes. 

I like what I see. Not perfect but nice.

I've got it hanging so I can do all four sides at the same time.


Here is a closeup of what my 1/8" dowels look like. That middle one will be drilled out to make a hole for the sail lashing.


Here is a closeup of my "insert". Remember, it was going to have one scarf in it anyway. 


Three more coats and it should be done.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment