Monday, August 9, 2021

Tiller Time

I took a few minutes before dinner to quickly sand the boom with my palm sander and some 150 grit paper. Then I slapped a second coat of Helmsman on it. Two more coats should do it.

After supper I wanted to tackle the next project, but what was it going to be? There's not a lot of stuff that I'm going to do before I start on the hull. I decided that the tiller was a good project. 

The plans call for ash, but I don't have any and am not going to go looking. I still have some small pieces of Douglas Fir, so I dug into the pile and came up with some suitable lumber. The tiller is only about 45" long with an additional foot and a half or so of "cheeks", so it's not going to take a lot. I found some that I could resaw to use for laminations. I cut them into 45" x 1&1/4" x 1/8" strips. It took nine strips.

Here is the tiller dry-fitted.

And glued up.

It will take some trimming, sanding and shaping, but a laminated tiller should look nice. I should have thrown some pine in there to give it some contrast. Oh, well....


No comments:

Post a Comment