Friday, July 30, 2021

Boom Glue-up

I spent just over an hour this morning gluing up the first stave on the main boom. Surprising how much time everything takes. I drilled what I'll call alignment holes for the 1/8" dowels to go in each end (my technique to help keep things straight), mixing pure epoxy to "paint" onto the surfaces, thicken some epoxy, "stick" it on, mix a little more, and a little more, put the clamps on, see some gaps, rub some epoxy into it, rub off squeeze out.... There's more to it than meets the eye.

Here's the stave set up.

Next I'll figure out the internal blocking and glue those in. Then I'll have to figure out how to make the other stave bend around the taper. I think I'm going to sand or plane down the diameter a little at those turns to make the stave a little more flexible. 


No comments:

Post a Comment