Saturday, October 2, 2021

Checking Strake Lineup

I spent just a few minutes attaching some short battens to the molds to check and see where the planks should hit the stem. Looks ok, so I marked the locations for spiling. 


I also finished gluing up the first garboard. After the first session, the plank was firm and  I was able to remove all screws, clamps and straps holding it in place which gave me full access to the entire length of the joint. 


After a little sanding.




I have fitted the second garboard. 





As you can see, there is another gap. The bow needs to line up evenly with the other garboard, so that was the priority. The bow end of the plank looks pretty good. Toward the stern a gap opens up again. I'm going to leave it and fill with a little strip of ply. It will be covered with fiberglass and paint. No problem. The outside edge of the plank is a wee bit wide, like a couple places 1/8 - 3/16", but I'm not going to fret over it. I do plan to spile each of the rest of the planks individually.

Oh, and if you noticed, I did not use any screws to line up the second garboard.  



No comments:

Post a Comment