Monday, October 25, 2021

Trunk Fix

I just couldn't bear the thought of that daggerboard trunk being off verticle as much as 1/2". Too much! If it was going to be corrected, now was the time, before I went any further with the planking. So I tackled it tonight.

I've been thinking about it for a couple days. I come up with a plan. I started by borrowing a friend's oscillating saw. I've never used one, but I knew it was the tool I needed. 

With this saw I was able to cut the daggerboard free from the midship frame.


Then I cut through the keel plank on three sides of the daggerboard. I figured, if I did that, I could flex it enough to get it verticle/plumb.


I used a ratchet strap to flex it to verticle. And I was careful to get it straight this time (or as near as possible). If it's off this time... sorry Charlie.


Then I filled in the cuts with epoxy. I did leave one side of the joint with the midship frame open so that I can fill it completely when the boat is turned right side up. I'll also add some epoxy to the long joint as well. 



I'll do some sanding after all is said and done. I'm thinking no one will ever know unless you or I tell them. 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment