Wednesday, October 13, 2021

What Do You Mean - Not Plumb?

You guessed it. The daggerboard trunk is not plumb. Ugh!! I tried my best to make it so. The good news: it is only off by about 1-2 degrees which translates into maybe 1/4-1/2" at seat level. Not too happy with it. I don't think it'll be too big a deal sailing, but, dang, if it don't bother me. It can be fixed but not without some trouble. I think I'm going to leave it.

Sadly, now that it's done, I have figured out a way that I could have gotten it plumb. I should have tacked a piece of ply on the end away from the midship frame that would have "seated" on the keel plank. Instead, I tried to use a tri-square and the keel plank wasn't wide enough for it to land on it flush. My vision was not too good under the boat close-up. I thought it might be hitting plank #1 (which it was and that kept the square from seating properly) but I couldn't see any gap. Oh, well. 

The good news is that it looks square. That really was far more important than plumb. 

No comments:

Post a Comment