Saturday, September 25, 2021

This Planking is Challenging

I thought about laying down the first garboard with epoxy tonight. Turns out I spent the whole evening just trying to get the positioning right. I had that 1/4" gap. I first of all cut a filler strip about 3/16" wide. I didn't like it. I decided I might be able to close that gap a bit by shifting the plank. 

It looked like the bow end of the plank could maybe use some planing down. I fiddled, planed, repositioned and repeated several times. Here is the final result.

Bow end.


mid-ship


stern end


The gap is minimal now. I think I'll just fill it with thickened epoxy. Shifting it did pull it off the line a bit on the opposite edge. Don't think that'll be a big issue. 

I've also got a lot of screw holes to fill! I had to get her to lay flat and that was the easiest way. You can't have any buckling. It'll be ok. The weights and tools are helping to keep the two planks matched up between molds.

Now to glue it down and get the other side to match! 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment