Tuesday, September 28, 2021

1/2" Mistake

It's not the first, and it won't be the last, but I made a 1/2" mistake when I glued up my spacers in the daggerboard trunk. As I was dry-fitting them yesterday, one of the pieces looked to be 1/2" short. How did that happen? Couldn't figure it out but I went ahead and cut another one and glued them. 

When I went out to check the fit today, the top was too narrow! By 1/2"!! How did that happen? It turns out I laid one piece on the wrong line. You see, as I was figuring the placement of the spacers using the daggerboard itself as a guide, I had made several adjustments and thus had drawn several lines. When I laid the pieces down for the actual gluing I laid the one on the wrong line! Ugh!!

Well, that had to be fixed. Fortunately it was not too difficult. I adjusted the depth of my skill saw blade, attached a "fence" with clamps and with a few swipes cut back the "excess" spacer on a new line and smoothed it out with a chisel and palm sander.

That should do it! A little epoxy to fill in one  slightly low spot and no one will ever know if we don't tell them!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment