Thursday, September 9, 2021

Staves and Stem

I got in a couple hours this evening. I made 2 staves which I plan to use to cut my planks and hopefully also use them to glue-up my planks. We'll see if they work. They are 3/4" x 7/16" x 17'. 


I will cut out the keel plank first so that I can use it to secure my molds. 

I also finally decided to try and do the rough beveling of the inner stem. I tried to use the band saw but, like I feared, it was binding. So I went with the power planer. Got it close. Anyway, we're supposed to do final beveling when the planks are glued up. 


(Next day)
This evening I went down and unwrapped and sanded off the epoxy on my new staves. They are 17' long or so. I'll use them to mark my planks. I'm also hoping to use them as guides for my rotozip. Keeping my fingers crossed. That would work so good. 

I scarfed them with 12:1 joints that I cut freehanded with the bandsaw. They didn't need to be perfect. LOL



I'm wondering if the scarfs will create a slightly "hard" spot. If so, I'll just have to work with it.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment