Wednesday, July 7, 2021

Daggerboard and Midship Frame

Yesterday I started the day by drawing the midship frame on one of those junk pieces of plywood. That enabled me to see what kind of lumber I would need to fashion that frame. Turns out that a 1x6x8 would do it. I picked that up in route to church.

Last night I cut the lumber to size and it's ready for glue up this morning. I'll cut out the "dummy" frame and trace it onto the glued up lumber when it's glued and dry.

I also sanded the daggerboard and cut the fiberglass cloth which I plan to wet out this morning. It's heavy cloth so I'm hoping this will give some added strength to the poor piece of ply.




This morning I've gone ahead and glued up/wetted out yesterday's work. That piece hanging over will be coming off as will the ragged edges. I was going to lay the board on a couple nails but the kept wanting to come off on the lower side. I went and got my step ladder and suspended a board with a nail through it and hung the daggerboard. Only issue, I drilled a hole and the dust from the hole got all over the board and glass. Wiped it off as best I could. The sander will take care of most of it along with a couple more coats of epoxy and paint.




I will probably reinforce those joints on the frame with a short piece of leftover plywood (which I'll certainly have when I begin cutting up the good stuff). Guess you'd call it a "doubler". Most of those knots you see will get cut out except for one. That will certainly need a doubler. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment