Saturday, July 3, 2021

Daggerboard

I started on the daggerboard. Clint's layout on the plywood did not allow for the daggerboard. His plans suggest solid wood for plans builders. I've decided to make it out of plywood. My SD 11 was fine with box store plywood sheathed in glass. 

I bought two pieces of plywood from a guy who disassembles pallets. The sheets are not a full 4x8 and they are cheap plywood. I bought them for $15 each. One sheet of good ply would have been $50. They are not perfect by any means. I see some voids and they are just rough. I'm going to use the best one out of the two. I will not be out much if it breaks and I'll make another stronger. As little as I sail, I'm willing to give it a try. Trying to make that $3k budget.

Here is the daggerboard cut out in 2 matching pieces getting laminated together. I tried to put some weight on the 2 pieces but it wasn't enough, so I used clamps and screws. I screwed it right down to the table. It's sacrificial anyway.


A closeup of the screws through the 2 layers. I put a bunch in. I think they'll come out easily enough. I'll have to fill the screw holes with epoxy, but that's easy enough. I'll be painting the daggerboard. Of course, it gets shaped into a foil and sheathed in epoxy/fiberglass.





No comments:

Post a Comment