Monday, July 5, 2021

More Work on Daggerboard

I spent a couple more hours working on the daggerboard today. My efforts went into shaping it and filling needed areas with epoxy. 

The simple truth is the two pieces of plywood I bought the other day to use for the daggerboard are just JUNK. I should have known since they were off of pallets. I've put several hours into the board, so I'm going to finish. I had to fill with epoxy several places that tore out when planing and sanding. I started to trash it and start over. I'm going to coat it with fiberglass and epoxy. That will help. I don't plan on being hard on the boat so it should be ok, at least for a while. If it breaks, it won't be hard to build another one and you can sail without a board. 

I also opened an old can of Glidden Porch and Floor enamel. It had a half inch of hardened paint on the surface, but when I got that off, the rest seemed ok. I'm going to paint the daggerboard. 

Hopefully tomorrow I'll get it glassed. 

Here are two pics. The first is the whole board. You can see the beveling of the trailing edge and the rounding of the forward edge to create something of a foil shape. The second is a closeup of one of the spots with epoxy filling. 



Here are two pics of the stem. Today I just marked the lines where the approximate bevel will be. I also cut each end. The closeup is of the lower end where the garboard will hit it. It's lying on the piece of cloth that I'm going to use for the daggerboard. 









No comments:

Post a Comment