Wednesday, April 7, 2021

More Vacation Work

I continued work on the mast staves today. I wanted to sand the scarfs before the epoxy got too hard. Sanded up pretty well. They weren't as neat as I had hoped but I guess they'll have to do. The thickened epoxy was a little coarse with that fine saw dust in it. Guess it's not "wood flour" like you can buy. The wooden pins I inserted into the staves worked out nice. For some reason though, one of the them was a bit crooked? Not sure why. I feel like it's flexible enough that it will still work fine. 

I still need to cut the birdsmouth in each stave and glue up the hollow mast. Lots of work left to do on the main mast. (And then there are the other spars)

I also bolted the rails of the strongback together. I tried to cut them as straight as I could and assemble them the same. One turned out a bit off so I redid it. Good ol' Kidd way: why do it once when you can do it twice. I also had to go back to Lowes and buy more bolts. When I was figuring the length needed, I forgot that there would be two thicknesses of the OSB. Oh, well.....

The rest of my time today went to cleaning up and unloading the bundle of plywood I picked up Monday. It arrived from Tarpon Springs, FL. I purchased it from Bedard Yachts. BF was very helpful in securing a good shipping quote for me. Delivery to the terminal saved me a good bit of money and it was very convenient, right behind Costco. 



That top one barely made the "cut". 16'10" for a 16'9" mast!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment