Friday, April 9, 2021

End of Vacation Work

I've put in a little over 20 hours this week on the boat project. Even though I was on vacation, I didn't start until Monday afternoon. Wednesday I had interruptions and had to preach at church. Thursday Robin came home early and I spent most of the day with her. And now Friday I'm knocking off early to spend the evening with her. Saturday - Monday we'll spend together and even take a short overnight trip. 

But I have gotten a visible start! Today I finished the strongback!! Quite the little project. Obviously a lot more work than would have been involved with a kit, but this is the route I've chosen. Here is the finished project.

I ripped a 2x4 to give it more strength and rigidity and used short blocks to join the corners. Both ends are cut at an angle. I used the carpenters square to get the angle and a parallel ruler to transfer a line for a guide so that I'd get a good cut.


My "shop" has a dirt floor covered with plastic and is no where near level. I did my best to level and square the strongback which is essential! I measured the diagonals, put in cross pieces in the center to keep the width constant. I even used a long piece of tubing filled with water to level it end to end. A few closeups.








Next week I'll try to finish the main mast. Then there will be the other spars, finishing the oars, and cutting out all the pieces for the trunk, rudder, daggerboard, etc, etc. In other words, a lot of work before there's anything that looks like a boat. 







No comments:

Post a Comment