Friday, April 23, 2021

Mast Plugs

It's unbelievable how long everything takes. Doubting seriously that I can do this build in 500 hours. (I just passed the 50 hour mark.) 

I spent another 1 and 1/2 hours on the mast today; this time making the mast partner and end plugs. I had already glued up two pieces of 2x4 and made the first cut last night (which turned out to be difficult - maybe my saw blade is dull).

I made 2 or 3 cuts today with the table saw (which was actually double that because to cut through 3" I had to cut from top and bottom). Then I moved to the bandsaw to make the rest of the cuts. Since the mast is not completely symmetrical, the plugs will not be. (getting tired of hearing it ain't gonna be perfect?). After a long while I got it to where I think it will work. I'll be gooping it up bigtime when I glue up the mast. Of course, this may affect the size/shape of the mast step. Will cross that bridge when I get to it. 

Cutting the deep "V's" was the easiest part. This will allow the mast to have a "soft spot" as it bends with the wind. 




No comments:

Post a Comment