Monday, April 19, 2021

Painfully Slow

I'm still working on the mast! I thought tonight I might get it glued up. Didn't happen. 

This morning I spent an hour and a half chiseling out two of the staves that were left with a ridge in the birdsmouth after cutting. Tonight Robin and I finished cutting the birdsmouths; we missed one cut the last session and I had to cut the one for the new stave. Then we cut the taper in them, so they are ready to go. 


Here is a shot of some of my scarfs. 

I started to make a temporary mold so that I could dry-fit the staves but my bandsaw 1/2" blade will not cut a tight enough radius. I'll either need a coping saw or will need to put a narrower blade on the bandsaw. Then I'll need to make plugs for the mast. I will probably make a couple temporary plugs so that I can get a good measurement on a permanent one. I know that the dimensions in the plans will need adjusting, not because they are not right, but because my milling "skills" leave a lot to be desired! 

It is tricky putting the staves together. That's why the need for molds and plugs.

Cutting the birdsmouths was a real trip. Mind you, they are 17' long. I needed 4 sets of hands. Robin and I provided 2 sets and I had to rig the others. Note stool, boxes, pails, etc!

Though things are moving slowly,  I have confidence that my mast will turn out satisfactorily. 




No comments:

Post a Comment