Monday, July 25, 2022

Rub Rails and "Floating" Floor

 Well, it's time to get to work on those odds and ends left to the build. I started tonight.

I cut out and scarffed my rub rails. I had a piece of 1x that was 11'+ in length and about 1,1/2" wide. I decided to rip it into thirds. That will make the rub rail kind of thin, but it's mostly for looks anyway. It should bend to the shape of the sheer plank easily.

I also started on the "floating" floor, at least that's what I call it. It is a removable floor that lifts to sit on the ledge of the cockpit to create a sleeping platform. 

I came across a pile of cedar last year in an abandoned building next to the church. I used it to make my gunnel and inwale. Most of it is 5,1/2" x 3/4" of various lengths. I measured the cockpit and figured 7 planks would do it. After I cut and trimmed them to 5.25" and laid them over the cockpit, I realized that I had failed to allow for the curve of the side seats. Oops! I came up a couple inches too narrow. I cut an eighth plank and retrimmed them all to about 4,15/16". That came out just about right. That will leave about a 1/4" gap between the planks. Here they are laid over the cockpit. I cut them all a tad long. I'll trim up the ends later.


I also need to find someone with a planer. That would make it so much easier to plane them down to 5/8" which will leave them flush with the seats when raised to make the sleeping platform. 

Then I will need to figure how to assemble them so they'll sit in the bottom of the cockpit squarely and lift out in two pieces. 




No comments:

Post a Comment