Wednesday, July 27, 2022

Rub Rail Attached

I had thought about waiting to attach the rub rails, but, hey, why not? So I got one done tonight.

I wasn't sure how I was going to do it. I thought about screws from the inside? Clamps? I tried clamping it. At first I was unsuccessful. The angle of the gunnel wouldn't allow the clamps to put any pressure on the rail even with a long stick.

I came up with the idea of nailing a spacer onto the end of the sticks. After a trial, it worked, so I made a bunch of them. I figured I'd be using maybe a dozen clamps.

I found the center of the rub rail. I would start there and it would balance itself on the first clamp. I put an extra block on that first one so that the rail wouldn't drop out. I checked to get the rail position just right so that the front end of the rail would land at the stem. I glued up the rail and set it up. I put a screw in each end to make it tight. And with the breast hook and quarter knees, I couldn't get a clamp at the end anyway. I'll remove those and fill  the holes with epoxy later.

Hopefully I can glue up the other one tomorrow. It shouldn't take too long since I've got the method down now.


No comments:

Post a Comment