Saturday, November 12, 2022

Setting Up Rigging

I've been busy the last little bit setting the boat up for rigging. That means leathering, drilling holes, attaching hardware. 

Let me post some pics and comment on them.

I made a mockup of the boat and placed all the hardware where it needs to be. Gave me a spot-on readout of the setup. After doing this I made a trip to the hardware store (again) to buy some screws, nuts and bolts. I'm still short a few pieces.


I leathered my oars. They came out pretty nicely I think. I did mess up a piece of leather. I used the piece of paper method to make a template and the leather came out 1/2" too short. I think it was the bulk of the underside of the leather that made it come out that way. After that I used the leather itself. I saw it done both ways on Youtube videos. I was albe to use the messed up piece for my buttons, so not a total loss.



I went to work on the mast partner and mainmast/sail setup. Here is the downhaul cleat mounted on the forward bulkhead and the backing plate epoxied into place with the bolts and fender washers visible.



Here is the 3" cleat on the sprit boom for the mizzen. The snotter will be tied off here.


I think this is the hole at the end of the sprit where the mizzen sail will be lashed.


I sewed a piece of leather on the mast where it sits in the partner. I used a "tourniquet" on the leather to keep the stitches tight as I moved down the lacing. 



Here is the mast obverse of the masthead. The two smaller bolts/nuts are through the fairlead which will serve the mainsheet. The larger one is to an eye bolt which will serve be a part of my lazy jack setup.


Here are the fairlead and eye bolt.


This is the 5" cleat attached to the mast where the halyard will be tied off. I put a little 3M 4200 under it. 


This is the lower end of the yard. It requires two holes: one to lash the sail and the other to tie-off the halyard. I tried to drill a pilot hole but that didn't turn out so well. The larger bit grabs the wood instead of cutting it when you have a smaller hole. And besides that, it doesn't necessarily follow the path of the pilot hole. I messed that up. Here is where the wood shattered between the two holes. I filled the gouge with epoxy. I'll sand it later. 


That's about it for now. Soon I'll be lacing & lashing sails, lashing blocks, running lines and hoisting the sails!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment