Friday, November 18, 2022

Getting Real Close!

Getting real close to finishing up this girl!

Last night I laced the mizzen sail to the mast. Only question is how tight to pull those laces. Might have to see it in some wind. I used a daisy chain to lace it on. 


When I strike the rigging, I plan to leave the sprit boom attached and roll it up in the sail attached to the mast. Looks pretty compact. I'll strap it to the seats for transport and storage along with the mainsail and other spars. Might at well wrap up the boomkin with the mizzen as well. 


Today I spent about three hours trying to finish up the hardware on the boat. I worked on the mast partner. It has turned put pretty nice I think. I did have to trim the gate a bit. I'll probably stick just a small strip of leather into the partner to take up just a wee bit of slack. No problem. 


I had to attach the mooring cleat off center. It would not work easily on center due to the framing underneath the flotation tank top. I think it will be fine there.

I also attached the clam cleat in front of the boomkin and an eye bolt just aft of the mizzen mast. 

This evening I doubled up my bungee cord by sewing a second length to the cord in a postion that will put it between the gudgeons. I think this will give me the extra pull that I don't have (I have 1/4" bungee vs 5/16"). We'll see tomorrow. 




The whipping is due to my failure to singe the end of the bungee after cutting it. It really wanted to unravel. I purchased a small metal cleat to attach to my rudderhead for the bungee. Hopefully this will do the trick. 

I'll post a couple more pics for this post tomorrow. 

The only significant thing left to do is finish attaching the mainsail to the yard and boom and running my lines. Once I do that, I'll know where to sew my leather onto the yard and boom. I'm going to ask Clint or maybe the forum about leathering the mast instead of the boom. Seems easier to me. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment