Monday, November 28, 2022

Ready Yet?

Thanksgiving came and went and the boat didn't get wet. I thought I was going to be able to launch on Saturday but schedules and an emergency surgery of a church member squeezed it out. Fact is, I probably wasn't quite ready anyway.

Today I spent three hours with some "final" prep. I ran the lazy jacks through the eye hook, sorted out some lines and put up the mast again. It all looked good and I liked the way it all came down. We'll see if the process is repeatable without getting lines all tangled. While the mainsail was up, I vacuumed out the boat. Amazing how many leaves got into the boat with a tarp over it. I guess they blew in through the slightly open ends. 

It's been a week since I posted and I was busy with little details. Here is a pictoral walkthrough.

I hoisted both sails! Looks pretty good!


The rigging of the sprit boom on the mizzen.


I rigged the mizzen sheet through the boomkin. I think I'm going to replace that clam cleat with a cam cleat. I may replace the clam cleat on the mast with a horn cleat. You can also see a safety line tied off to an eyebolt just aft of the mizzen mast. This goes to a cleat on the mast which will prevent the mast from coming out of the partner.


I rigged the downhaul. I used spectra for the lashings on this. The line will be under a big load.


I attached the permanent mooring cleat. I had to put it off center due to some framing on the inside of the flotation chamber. It'll work fine and looks ok.


While I working the day before Thanksgiving, these two birds walked by. We've seen them numerous times before. Guess no one told them what time of the year it was. LOL


I attached the tiller extension. I used a 1/4" line tied with a rolling hitch, put a washer between the tiller and extension and secured it with a velcro strap. Gonna be watching that hitch. I may switch to a thumb cleat and bungee cord.


I tried doubling the 1/4" bungee cord that I had but wasnt' satisfied. I'm going to used a regular line. I may get some 5/16" bungee and do it as called for in the plans.


I had attached a cleat for the mainsail downhaul. I wound up moving it over an inch because it was too close to the mast to easily cleat off the line.


Here's my rope handle for the daggerboard. It should float so may not be very necessary, but it's there.


I ran my two bridles for the mainsheet. After putting a loop in the forward bridle, I rethought it and took it out leaving just a straight be of rope. 


Clint suggested holsters for the oar locks. I screwed two of them on the aft bulkhead just underneath the side benches. 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment