Tuesday, October 4, 2022

Trailer Done

I finished the trailer refit today. Boy, has it been a long two days! I'm logging 13 hours for the last two days but it may actually be a little more than that. I took some vacation time so that I can get the boat ready for the "Big Reveal" at church this Sunday night. The boat will not be done but I do want it to show well.

Today I installed the last two bunks, the trailer winch and the jack stand. The bunks took four tries to get it right. The fit was so tight I had to really figure out to get it in with the parts that I had. I wound up putting them near the outside of the trailer frame within a "Y" at the outer edge. 



One thing I noticed today: the boat is not level on the trailer. Ugh! I had my suspicions with the aft bunks not being of equal height. Same happened with the front ones. I had "eyeballed" the trailer from the rear. Looked close. After doing the bunks, I looked at it from the front: obviously off. I'm not going to make a big deal of it right now, but imagine that I'll want to correct that at some point. 

I also installed the winch today. It required a good bit of effort. The thing is super heavy and awkward to handle and the post was too big for the u-bolts. I took my granddaddy's old big hammer and pounded on it for a while and made it fit!


I also installed the bow eye. It was barely long enough to go through the inner and outer stems. I'll have to go back and add some 3M 4200 before I take her out on the water. I have a tube but I have to use it within 24 hours of opening. I'll wait until I have several things to do at once. 


And here's the jack stand. It's like brand new. The guy I bought the trailer from must have liked me because he threw in the winch and stand at the last minute for no extra money. Two big ticket items. 


Now it's on to the hardware. I did make a stop at Lowes this afternoon so I'll be ready to go with that part of the project. 

No comments:

Post a Comment