Tuesday, September 6, 2022

Time to Paint!

I believe the moment has come: it's time to paint!!!! 

I've spent the last two evening sanding. It's quite the job. Not really much to show in the way of pics, though I did add a 1/4" doubler to the forward tank top overhang. I had not noticed it on the plans but there it was. I did not extend it all the way across, just about 10" from the center line of each side. It should be enough. I actually can't see it on the other CIY 16's I've seen on the forum. Could be there. That part of the boat will carry a lot of load with the downhaul anchored there. 


Here's a pic of the drain plug doubler. This 1/4" extra will allow me to install the plug and without having it extend beyond the bottom of the boat. Of course, it will leave a little water in the boat if I am indeed needing to drain it. 


And here are some "tools of the trade": my epoxy and some mixing spoons. I've been doing a lot of little epoxy jobs the last little bit, so some small measuring spoons have helped. 


Just a note: I chose not to fill the weave in the fiberglass cloth on the floor. Most of it will be unseen anyway.  I guess I could roll on another coat of epoxy that would cut down on it. I'm figuring it will look and perhaps act like nonskid. Maybe just fooling myself, but I don't think it's going to bother me. 

Painting is going to be tedious, but here goes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment