Friday, January 15, 2021

Captain Kidd's Boatyard


    I began boating in 1999 after moving to Roanoke Rapids, NC. Golf had been my major past time but the move brought a change in life. We lived near several lakes including Lake Gaston which was a designated recreational lake. The ramp was only 13 miles from our house. Let me introduce you to the boats that became a part of that change. (pic above is for illustrative purposes only)

Flying Lady



     The story of Flying Lady is the story of my introduction to boating in general and sailing in particular. I became enamored with sailboats while living near Baltimore, MD. We used to visit the Inner Harbor and I would be enthralled with the sailboats that I saw. Somehow in my thinking I just assumed that sailing was for the rich. There was no way I could own one of the big, beautiful, sleek sailboats that I would see docked in front of the Light Street Pavilion. Why I didn't realize you could buy a smaller and older boat I do not know. But it wasn't until we moved to NC and I saw the Kells for sale in a local trader newspaper that the thought occurred to me. I bought boat, trailer, motor, rigging et. al. for $2500. We christened her Flying Lady II (Flying Lady I was my wife's 1993 Camaro).

     My wife made me read up on sailing before I started so I bought Sailing For Dummies by Peter Isler and his wife, both accomplished sailors. The learning curve was steep but I was on the water! I was so green. I remember the first 2 or 3 times I sailed Flying Lady that I attached the rudder and left it sticking out horizontally instead of pushing it down to a vertical position. Man was there a lot of pressure on that tiller in a fresh breeze! 

     Except for one trip to the Chesapeake Bay, I sailed her exclusively on Lake Gaston, NC. We had some great times on Flying Lady including overnighting on her with my daughter, swimming off of her in the lake, and just being on the water. We also had some tense times on her like the time I forgot to take the straps off before launching and I "baptized" my car! Or the time I took my elderly parents out on her and the motor wouldn't start when the wind died! Oh, so much fun. 

     She was a great first boat. I owned her from 1999 to 2004. I sold her for $2300. Five years of sailing cost me $200 (plus a few things here and there but we won't count that). Not bad for a bunch of fun and memories.

(boatyard: to be continued)








No comments:

Post a Comment