Friday, February 25, 2022

Decision Made

I have made my decision on what to do about the paint job on the hull. I'm going to do the interior of the boat and come back to it. Hopefully the primer will have sufficient time to cure so that I can get a good sanding.

That means it's time to flip the boat!

Last night I removed all but two of the molds. Here are views fore and aft from the underside.



If you'll notice, I put a cross member across the midship frame to give it extra support and maintain the proper shape of the hull until I can flip the boat and get a thwart in. 

Then I took frames 3 and 5 and marked them with the inverse of their respective measurements to form cradles for the righted hull. Here I am measuring and marking the two frames.



You can see on the first pic that I've drawn the shape of the hull on the frame. In the second pic you can see some math calculations because I was measuring from the "bottom" up. 

Here is a pic of the two cradles sitting on the hull. Not perfect fits, but I don't think they have to be. Once I turn the boat, if anything needs to be shaped up, I can tack some extra pieces to get a proper fit. Some guys make these early. I didn't. 


I only had once piece of foam. It is pipe covering. I'll get another one and they will cushion the hull against the cradles. 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment