Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Doublers on Rudder Head

After checking several more times, I'm still unsure what to do with the paint job. Should I go ahead and settle? Should I wait longer for it to cure better so I can sand it smoother? Should I turn the hull now and come back to it when I finish the interior? I'm even thinking about putting the finish coats on the bottom 3 planks and see how it turns out. If it's too bad, it won't matter a whole lot. If it's decent, maybe I'll proceed.

I might go ahead and build my main sail from the Sailrite kit I ordered months ago. That would buy me a couple weeks to mull it over. Whatever I do, I want the hull to look as good as is reasonably possible.

I wanted to get something done, so I decided to cut out and glue up the doublers on the rudder head. I took some left over planking material to cut them out. They are only about 6"x14" at their widest points. I cut out two pieces, put them together, drilled two 1/8" holes and drove a dowel into them so they wouldn't move. I traced the two edges from the rudder head onto the blank and drew the two curves. I cut them out with the band saw and glued them up. I used the dowel holes to drill into the head and used them to line up the doublers with the head. The dowels will be under the tiller extensions. The doublers look pretty good.

Feels good to get something done.







No comments:

Post a Comment