Friday, June 18, 2021

The Next Step: Frames

Now that the oars and spars are done, it's time to move on to the next step: the frames. This is big. The frames will give the boat its shape. 

I spent 4 hours today and got three of the frames cut out and one more drawn. There is one more to go plus the transom and middle frame which are permanent parts of the boat. I've yet to buy the lumber for them. I opted to go with dimensional lumber versus plywood thinking I'll save a few dollars. Another sheet of ply would have cost me a C note. I'm thinking I can get the lumber for less than half that or near half.

Marking the frames is a bit painstaking. There are a lot of dimensions!! I tried to make sure I "measured twice" so I would only have to "cut once"! Good thing I did. I made some mistakes. I could tell though from the looks of the lines. 

I used the "T" square that I bought mainly for this task. I also used the Porter/Cable 3.5" saw for the first time. It's sweet. And I like the laser. Too bad I left the switch on and ran the batteries down. I'll have to get some. It really helps. 

Here are a couple pics from today's work. 



Feels good to move on. I'll certainly be eager to get those frames up on the strongback.



No comments:

Post a Comment