Wednesday, June 16, 2021

One More Coat

I decided to put one more coat on the spars and oars. Glad I did. They look really sharp now and that last sanding/coating really made a difference. Cost a little over an hour. Well worth it. 

Here are the oars.


They turned out pretty nice. The looms are not perfectly round. The blades are very much to my liking. As long as they are strong enough, I think I'll be satisfied. I'll be eager to row with them, very curious about the amount of effort it is going to take to work with 9'2" oars. In my head the amount of leverage I'll get with just 27" inboard is not very much. We'll see.

Here are the spars:


They look nice even though they are not perfect either.

Here are a few of the "warts":








In the case of the knots, I was working with substandard lumber trying to save on the costs. None of them go all the way through as they are laminated to clear pieces. The ones of the oars for example are only about 1/8" thick. 

On the mast, somehow I did not line up the one stave. It was 1/4" off. I was in a hurry trying to work before the epoxy "kicked". I just had to fill it in with epoxy later. 

There are more, but you get the idea.

All in all, I think I'm reasonably satisfied. If everything turns out to be strong enough without too much weight, I'll be good. 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment