Monday, May 3, 2021

More Planing and Sanding of Mast

My drill contraption did not work. Ugh! Just couldn't get the belt to turn. I tried gluing strips of an old bicycle inner tube around the spindle to give it some traction with the belts, but it just wouldn't grab it. There are other methods of rounding a mast but I'm going to do it by sight and feel like I did my first mast. 

I spent 3 hours planing and sanding the mast. I planed for a while with the power planer and then I got out the block plane. I set it for as thin of shavings as I could get and tried to take out the little ridges left after rough planing. Then I took my belt sander with an 80 grit belt and went to rounding as best I can by sight. I finished with a good once over with a 120 grit belt. I rounded the top and tried to round the plug at the bottom which had a lot of epoxy on it. 

It has a lot of flat spots in it still. I probably could take off a good bit more wood but I think I'm going to leave it alone. It might be a bit heavy, but the extra bulk might make me feel better as far as strength is concerned. It looks decent (the scarfs are a bit noticeable) and I think the boat will still turn heads at the ramp!

I'm going to fill a couple small cracks with some thickened epoxy, hand sand it with some 220 paper and call it done.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment