Wednesday, May 5, 2021

Mizzen Mast

I started on the mizzen mast tonight. I was able to get in 2 short work sessions, working around the rain. 

I spent about an hour ripping the last 2 pieces of douglas fir that I had. The 12' piece had a lot of knots which meant I would need several scarfs. The last piece was a 4'9" piece that the guy threw in for good measure but it turns out I needed it. The mizzen mast is 2,1/8" wide at its widest which means I'll need to glue 2 of the 1,1/2" pieces together lengthwise. 

Later, I spent two hours figuring out how to cut out some of the worst knots and scarfing the pieces together. One of the halves wound up with only 1 scarf. The other half has several. Oh, well. Later in the week, hopefully Thursday, I'll glue the two halves together and be ready to make a jig to cut the mast down to the proper diameter.




No comments:

Post a Comment