Thursday, May 13, 2021

Glue-up Successful

Well, the epoxy hardened! I left some in the mixing bowl to check this morning. Was a little worried there.

Here are the spars ready for shaping. That's the yard on the left, the boomkin in the middle (with the dado - not sure but that's what Clint calls it), and the sprit boom on the right. 


I got up early and set everything up for trimming the yard on the same jig I used for the mizzen mast. After breakfast I went to it. 


Things went pretty well. It was a little easier after my "practice" on the mizzen mast. I 8-sided the blank. However, there were 3 "minor" glitches. On two of the sides, I must have fed the blank into the saw crooked, because it sliced too far into the wood. We're talking 1/4" too deep. I actually had to stop the saw each time and cut off what I had trimmed with my pull saw and start again but not as deep. So I was left with 3 shallow spots, two on one side and one on the  other. I decided it was too important to leave the yard in a possibly weakened condition and I epoxied some patches, each taken from the material trimmed off, onto the 3 spots. Here is the fix gluing up. The 3 fixes will be "proud" but I'll shave them down. Remember: the epoxy is stronger than the wood, so all should be well.


That's all I'll get done this week. Next week I'll try to finish shaping up the 3 spars.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment