Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Glue-up Remaining Spars

 I got up this morning thinking I had an easy task on my hands. I had prepared everything for glue-up last night. As I'm mixing my epoxy, the resin pump stop pumping. What?!!!! Practically brand new! 

I fidgeted, fumed and fussed for a while. Went up to the kitchen and "borrowed" a couple of my wife's measuring cups/spoons. She made sure they weren't coming back to the kitchen.

After all the rigmarole, and my hopefully successful mix, it turns out there are no extensions on the pumps! Bummer!! Whose fault is that? Did I fail to see them in the packaging? Did the seller forget to include them? I don't know. Only thing to do is get a couple. 

Another small snafu: I laid the string and small rag in the routed boomkin, ready to pull through when the two halves were clamped together. When I pulled it through, the added weight of the alcohol soaked rag pulled the other half of the line into the boomkin! I was going to pull it back and forth several times to get a smooth interior surface. I wound up ripping a thin piece of wood long enough to push the rag back through and recover the string. Then I was able to pull it back and forth several times. Should do the trick. Should be a fairly smooth track for the mizzen sheet.

Well, here they are all glued up. Morning will tell whether I botched the mix.




No comments:

Post a Comment