Wednesday, December 15, 2021

Stem Etc

I've been able to spend a little time on the boat this week. With Christmas coming it's difficult to make time - an hour here... an hour there.

After making my plywood pattern, I have cut out and glued up the rough timber for the outer stem. I tried to get pieces without knots. My resawing went ok. I'm trying to save myself from unnecessary planing though that shouldn't be too tough with the power planer. You can see the pattern in the second picture. It's rough. I plan on adding some more tickler sticks to the form and trying to get a more exact cut when I actually cut out the stem from my stock. 


I also fiberglassed my transom. Not sure it was necessary, but I will feel better doing it. Just not sure about that glue in the Lowes glued up board. I used the old epoxy (11 years old!). Some of the old epoxy has crystalized. The hardener seems ok though it may have turned a little darker. I did use the old once earlier in this build for something small and it seemed to work fine. I know I'm going to need more than the 3 gallon pack of epoxy that I ordered for this build, so I thought I could use the old on non-structural things. From what I've read, age shouldn't hurt it except maybe weakening it a small bit. If this works on the transom, I'll probably use the old to coat the hull. 


I used my extra epoxy to do some filling.









No comments:

Post a Comment