Friday, December 17, 2021

Outer Stem is On

I cut out the outer stem today and glued it to the bow. The fit wasn't perfect and I'm afraid I messed it up more trying to "fine tune" it. Some thickened epoxy should solve the issue though as it does in other situations. 

The first thing I did was transfer the pattern to the stock which I had glued up earlier and which turned out just the right size and shape.





Then I cut out the stem with the band saw. There were a couple gaps which I tried to close by cutting out some "high" spots. Didn't work too well, but the epoxy should take care of it. 

Then I planed a bevel on the stem. The two sides don't match up perfectly but I'll try and dress it up a little once the epoxy cures.

The leading edge of the bow was not completely uniform. I cut the width of the outer stem to cover the widest part. The rest I'll fill in with thickened epoxy. I think it will do just fine. 

Here are two pics of the stem glued up.



Overall, I'm reasonably pleased. 

Update: went down this morning and added some epoxy to the joint. I came up with a pretty good transition.


I took the left over epoxy and added it to my daggerboard. When I made the board, I rounded the upper edge. I shouldn't have done that. The "keeper" boards will cover that top part, so I decided to build it up to square again. The board will be painted so no problem.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment